Sweden-based telecom company Ovzon has awarded a contract to Space Systems Loral (SSL) for the development of its first geostationary orbit (GEO) satellite named Ovzon-3.

The telecom firm will invest Skr1.5bn ($165.6m) to support the satellite’s development, launch, financing and insurance.

Satellite’s construction is expected to be completed by 2021, while launch is planned for late-2020.

The satellite will enhance the performance and increase Ovzon’s coverage area while meeting typical communication requirements. It will also allow the company to introduce single-hop communication between very small terminals.

US-based aerospace firm Spaceflight Industries has been awarded a contract by Brazil’s National Institute for Space Research (INPE) to provide launch services for Amazonia-1 earth observation satellite, the first-of-its-kind to be entirely developed by the country.

In addition to launch services, the company will also provide mission management services and required hardware systems to INPE.

The 700kg satellite is being built on the Brazilian Multi-Mission Platform (MMP) and will be operated by the Brazilian Government.

How much of an impact will the COVID-19 outbreak have on the revenue of aerospace companies?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The satellite is scheduled to be launched by a PSLV rocket to the sun-synchronous orbit in 2020.

Brazilian aerospace firm Embraer and Boeing have entered a joint venture (JV) partnership.

Boeing will purchase an 80% stake in the JV for $4.2bn, while the remaining 20% will be held by its partner. The JV will be operated and managed by Boeing.

“Boeing will purchase an 80% stake in the JV for $4.2bn, while the remaining 20% will be held by its partner. The JV will be operated and managed by Boeing.”

A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed by Boeing in July to take control of Embraer’s commercial jet business.

Airbus has received an order to supply the A320neo family aircraft to Irish aircraft leasing company Avolon.

Airbus will supply 75 A320neos and 25 A321neos to Avolon, which brings Avolon’s backlog to a total of 258.

The aircraft lessor took delivery of 26 new generation aircraft, of which 22 are single-aisle aircraft and the remaining four are wide-body aircraft.

Huffman has been acquired by Optomec, a US-based company involved in the production of additive manufacturing systems used for laser metal deposition.

Huffman supplies 3D metal printing systems for repair of aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines.

The combined business will deliver a form of metal 3D printing called Directed Energy Deposition (LENS).

Heston Services Limited has agreed to purchase Aircraft Maintenance Services Australia (AMSA) from SIA Engineering Company Limited (SIAEC).

Based in Australia, AMSA provides line maintenance services in airports, whereas SIA Engineering is a Singapore-based firm that provides aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul services in Asia-Pacific.

SIAEC will receive A$4.5m ($3.22m) upon completion of the agreement.

DBS Bank is providing financial guidance to SIAEC for the transaction.

Macquarie Group has signed a purchase agreement to acquire Waypoint Leasing Holdings and some of its subsidiaries at an estimated cost of $650m.

Based in Limerick, Ireland, Waypoint Leasing provides helicopter leasing services and support worldwide.

A consortium of lenders has granted $45m debtor-in-possession (DIP) financing to Waypoint to support the acquisition.

Houlihan Lokey served as investment banker for the acquisition, while Weil, Gotshal & Manges acted as legal counsel, and FTI Consulting and Seabury Consulting provided restructuring advisory.

The acquisition is expected to be completed by the first quarter of 2019.