Wheelabrator Group has successfully delivered and commissioned a MPD 15000 CNC peen forming machine to Beijing Aeronautical Manufacturing Technology Research Institute (BAMTRI) in August 2008.
This equipment was mainly used for the peen forming and shot peening of large aircraft components to the customer’s satisfaction.
At the end of 2008, BAMTRI approached Wheelabrator with a request to upgrade the existing equipment to allow for more versatility and the treatment of a wider range of parts.
BAMTRI awarded Wheelabrator the contract after Wheelabrator carried out a complete inspection of the machine and provided BAMTRI with a detailed technical and cost analysis. Wheelabrator recommended the following upgrades/modifications in response to BAMTRI’s concerns and requirements:
- Modification of the CNC conveyor system
- Modification of the mechanical recovery, feeding and classification system
- Addition of a second off-side mounted CNC nozzle manipulator robot
- Modification of the pneumatic equipment
- Addition of a sound enclosure
- Modification of the control system to stricter requirements
- New software for the Process Computer Supervision System (PCSS)
All these modifications and upgrades will enable BAMTRI to operate a more versatile peen forming machine to satisfy its customers’ various needs. In the process BAMTRI also ordered a second closed circuit machine for its touch-up operations.
“Once again, we are extremely satisfied with the timely service provided by Wheelabrator Group and their full support. We have appreciated Wheelabrator’s expertise and knowledge on such advanced surface preparation equipment and their availability during the whole selection process” Mr Li, Chief Engineer, BAMTRI.